Friday, March 8, 2013

Mid-Semester Update & A Glimpse Of The Future

     Well here we are, nearly two months into instrument and another three months to go in the semester. Three months. That's it. 

Flying the 10-Day Extended Cross-Country
     Since the beginning of this semester I've not only been challenged in my skills, but also in my character and my faith. I have been challenged again and again to place my confidence in God: to trust Him to equip me, to sustain me, and to improve me as I put my all into what He has set before me. This is hard work. Even harder when you are working on the side and making your family a priority. I am grateful that God has given me a love for flight, I imagine these heart lessons being driven home would be a lot more rough going if I didn't get to soak up every bit of enjoyment out of my time in the air. With the huge learning curve that the instrument rating brings there have definitely been moments that feel uncomfortably close to treading water while adrift in the ocean, and then I put my feet down, solid on God's promises, dig my heels in and study and pray, and pray and study...

    "And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. Now to our God and Father be the glory forever and ever. Amen." Phillipians 4:19 & 20

     He will supply. To His glory. 

     I've done a lot of simulator flying in the past weeks; this serves as a more cost effective way to practice my control of the aircraft by reading only the instrument panel until I am as adept at flying by instrument as I am at flying by sight. One of the things that proves to be most frustrating about the simulators is their extreme touchiness, they do not fly exactly like an airplane. However, I've noticed that this also gives me a bit of a confidence boost as I learn; when I do well on a simulator flight I seem to have an even better handle on it when we are in the air. 

     During instrument flights we put on visually impairing hoods to block our view of everything except our instrument panel (before you freak out- all instrument flights are done with an instructor in the other seat- no solos this time!). We've had a large focus on situational awareness, knowing where you're at, at all times and what your surroundings are: terrain, other aircraft, etc., because in flight you don't get the luxury of counting on nature to do what you expect it to. Here's a photo sequence my instructor took of one of my most recent flights, in video form. Enjoy!
   
     I could use some prayer for healing and for focus. In the past month and a half I have injured myself three times during basketball very important things. Without much sleep to repair and no time to give my injuries a rest from day-to-day life they are taking a pretty big toll on me, making work, school & being a dad a lot more difficult. One thing's for sure, I'm getting older! Obviously not so much with the wiser yet. ; ) I'm also being stretched in my multi-task training and have had to redo several flights before I got them down. Kellyn, as always, reminds me "Hey, more flight hours and more practice right?" Praying not to let my pride or my wallet keep me from positively taking it in stride and using it to make myself an even better pilot.

     We have been blown away by the outstanding faithfulness of so many of you to get behind what God is doing both in and through us. We are grateful to be a small part of such a big picture. To get the chance to let our story impact someone else's story.  To rejoice in opportunities to show the world who Jesus is and what He has done.

     We are spending some serious time in prayer and research of internship opportunities. Tune back in a couple of days, as we hope to have some more answers very, very soon!  It takes us aback a little every time we realize that the plans for the rest of this year are hugely different from everything we have experienced in our life together. We are growing more and more excited for the unknown adventures ahead.  

     We've known for quite some time now that all we knew for sure was God's call to be here. At school, at Moody, with the church, growing, learning, doing life. In the past few days Kellyn and I both started to feel God's call on our future narrowing down. I can't even explain the joy this has given us! 


"Two are better than one; because they have a good return for their work; If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm, But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."  Ecclesiastes 4:9-12. 


“...so I can bring you some spiritual gift that will help you grow strong in the Lord. When we get together, I want to encourage you in your faith, but I want to be encouraged by yours...I want to work among you and see spiritual fruit.” Romans 1:11-12, 13b

     We have begun to notice a pattern of God drawing us toward encouraging, building up and bearing armor for His front line people.  We are still unsure as to what that looks like in an organization, but we are believing that what God has called us to,  He will lead us to!  And we are willing to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment